Sunday, 31 May 2015

Vacuum Braking (13) Implementation (7)

Sunday May 31st 2015 has been mainly about the vacuum braking pipework but not entirely.

In my last article, I'd begun to assemble the vacuum ejector pipework. Now I've pretty well completed it as shown below.
Steam supply linked to the Ejector
The main work was either side of the blue pressure reducing valve (PRV).
PRV, condensate drain valve and unions at either end
Both upright ends had to be parallel in order to mate with the union counter parts. (If I've not said before, unions allow the pipework to be taken apart and also enable rotation).

In the above photo, there are unions at each end of the pipe but, in the first photo, the upright larger diameter pipe also has unions allowing it to rotate. In this way, the distance between the PRV and ejector has been made non-critical and hence much easier to assemble.

The next task was to add some support for the vacuum hoses. Previously the 'Swan necks' on the buffer beams had left only a short length of pipe to attach the hose. I'd felt that some extra length was needed in case the hose could lever itself off.
Lengthened 'Swan neck'
The extension was made from a straight pipe coupling and spare male threaded pipe. The threads were sealed with Heldite.
Comparison with usual hose attachment
The extension is still a little short compared to a normal hose fixing. However, if there is a tendency for hoses to come adrift, the extension can be extended further to fix the problem!

Some time ago, I decided that I wanted to take the steam supply for the whistle and pressure gauge from the safety valve assembly instead of the two outlets at the ends of the four-way manifold which feeds the superheater. It saves one expensive isolating valve and make the valve actually reachable by hand!

I thus had to block the manifold outlets. I used a heavy duty steel cap for one end and a coupling and plug for the other (I had the cap already and I couldn't get another off the shelf).

Since these items were round, I was advised that a Stillson wrench was the best way to tighten them despite the likelihood of some surface damage in the process.
Screwing it up!
To ensure a good seal, I made a pair of thick annealed copper washers and applied a liberal amount of Steamseal to make sure.
The cap fits
The Plug fits!
Now to make a hole in the roof for the ejector exhaust.

Saturday, 23 May 2015

Vacuum Braking (12) Implementation (6)

My previous article on the braking pipework finished with a view of the beginnings of work in the cab. To say this involved some unsightly contortionist-like activities is an understatement because the space in which to fit this pipework is bijou to put it mildly. After a day of this, I need a day away to recover!

It also doesn't make it easy to take good photos. I hope the gist is clear from the following ones.

The first is the driver's eye view looking forward.
Avoiding the window and other pipework
I had originally planned to have the train brake handle below the cab's opening on the right. However, there are other bits and pieces reserving space on the side-panel such as the lever for remotely operating the exhaust condensate valve. It would also have meant the pipework passing under the shelf supporting the boiler feed pump where there are other pipes to be installed.

So I concluded that the best route for the pipe was around the top of the circular window aperture with the brake lever much higher up. Top right in the photo are the yellow-coloured silencer/air filter where air is let in to apply the brakes. Then there is the blue-handled brake valve lever itself with the vacuum relief valve just beyond it pointing up at an angle. There is a connection for the vacuum gauge right at the front.

It was not an easy job fitting the pipe around the window particularly the elbow at the top left. The pipes won't bend or give so they have to be exactly the right dimensions to go together! (I got it right on about the third attempt!).

The next photo is looking down to where the vacuum pipe passes through the cab floor (see the last three photos of this link).
Connections to the train pipe,check valve and Ejector
I've put a right angle in between the check valve and the ejector to shorten the length of the steam feed pipe. Hopefully this will reduce the length and weight of suspended pipework.
Ejector's steam feed
The ejector's steam feed is taken from below the left hand safety valve manifold branch (left foreground). It passes through the blue pressure reducing valve to the ejector via a cross (+) fitting which will allow for connecting a condensate drain valve and an ejector-feed pressure gauge. (The pressure reducing valve needs to be set to feed the ejector at its optimum pressure - 60 psi).

Next I have to assemble the safety valve manifold with steam seal and complete the ejector connections. Some extra Stauff clamps are also needed to support the vacuum pipe. Then there is the ejector exhaust pipe which will require a hole in the roof. Hmm, I'd better get that in the right place!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...