The offending leak area is shown below in an old photo of the rear engine (which means I probably have a leak on that too!).
|Oil Chamber Leak|
I found the method of moving the camshaft to be quite different on the waggon. Chronologically, the waggon came first so Sentinel 7109's engines are an adaptation of the original approach.
The waggon used the 7109 oil chamber filler location to attach the shaft rotation lever, unlike Sentinel 7109 which has the lever on the end of the shaft.
|Waggon shaft rotation technique|
Sentinel 7109, instead of having the waggon's rotating sleeve (which did not have to retain oil), has a clamp on sleeve, originally without a gasket.
|Clamp on sleeve detached|
|View to the left...|
|...and to the right|
And here's what it looks like:
|Attempt No. 2 with rubberised cork gasket|
|Not so easy to fill; gasket a bit too effective!|
|...Now holding oil|
|No leaks this time (after half a day)|
[Postscript: About a week later there was slight leakage - but not enough to worry about!]
Despite my early difficulties here, Sentinel obviously had faith in the method as they were still using it in post-war locos, the latest I've found it on was built in 1958 (Sentinel 9622).
In 2008, I took this picture of William's engine at Elsecar. (Sentinel 9599 built 1956).
|William's Oil Chamber Sleeve|